Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Hot Topics.

Old 15-07-2018, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Angry Why are Recharge Prices Rising?

Why are Aircon Recharge Prices Rising?

Mainly due to the phasing out of HFCs (hydrofluorocarbons) by the EU. HFC refrigerant is the air con gas used in most cars on the roads today. The EU are clamping down in Chinese imports of refrigerant and at the same time reducing availability of HFCs in a phased approach until 2030 when there will be no more available.

The aim is of course to reduce the impact of greenhouse gas emissions, of which HFCs are a contributor.

Last year, 2017, saw an 11% reduction in availability of HFC refrigerants.

But from 2018 to 2020 there will be a 37% decrease in availability, which is in turn forcing the price up for that particular refrigerant and therefore the cost of car air con services, including recharging.

There will be further reductions from 2020 of another 50%. Already you will see the likes of Kwik-Fit and Halfords increase the price of a regas.

So prices for an air con recharge will potentially keep rising unless supply is relaxed by the EU.

Currently there are high level complaints in Germany and Italy about ‘unjustified’ price rises so the situation may change in the coming months, especially as the consumer is the one that ultimately pays the price.

On the other hand, almost all new cars no longer use the r134a HFC refrigerant, instead using r1234yf which is not subject to the same restrictions on supply.

So as more cars use this refrigerant and so will the prices of that gas fall and recharge prices for r1234yf air con services will also follow.

At present an r1234yf air con recharge still costs substantially more than the current standard r134a recharge (most cars on the road today use this gas) but this price will come down.

Issue with r1234yf recharging is most companies still do not offer a recharge service.

We test the r1234yf air con but don't stock the gas yet.
Holly

From the

Forum
Old 15-07-2018, 07:44 PM

thanks for the heads up info on this don't know what is happening over here.
you may have to start going back to these.

carlys_guy

Last edited by carlys_guy; 15-07-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 16-07-2018, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Think you could be right Carley's Guy, Bob said all we had years ago was the quarter light as part of the side window, faster you went the more air you got, and no trouble with it

Are you not using the new gas over there, everything is saying you are or will be, and the price is high with you too, like here

I was told to order the now gas, it was a shocking price, so it's on hold till it's needed, we can't get the new gas in cans here, but it looks like you can over there.
Holly
Old 17-07-2018, 07:25 PM

don't know about the new stuff here last year the 134 was still around stores even chain stores like walmart had it haven't checked this year.

carlys_guy
Old 17-07-2018, 09:08 PM
Administrator

The new R1234yf gas is only for new cars, here and in the USA, and is not used in the old R134a, the old R134a in top up cans will be around for sometime, it's sub gas to go into R134a systems, the trade gas R134a will go, here and in the USA.

However, think you will see the cans change to refill bottles, and ext: for new, or refund on them, no more put them in landfill.

The R1234yf is flammable, but so are the R134a cans, but they don't tell you that

We don't have the R1234yf gas in top up cans yet, but it should be comeing, it would be nice to know if you have the new R1234yf gas over there in top up cans and what price it is.
Timbo
Old 17-07-2018, 11:39 PM

i checked the three top parts places here on for online prices, only two listed it one was a 15 pound bottle for $1399.00 the other was a 10 pound bottle for $849.00

carlys_guy

Last edited by carlys_guy; 18-07-2018 at 12:01 AM.
Old 21-07-2018, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Just cost me 540 to get my air con fixed. (June 2018)

It was not blowing cold air so a re gas was booked the guy said he could not do it as my car took "special gas" which they did not have, I needed 1234yf which he said would not be cheap.

So i went home and done a search on the net, the only garage i could find was 28 miles away so i contacted him and he said he could do it for 180 which i thought was agood deal as i had read onlie it would cost around 300 - 350.

So i booked the car in and got it done, it lasted about 45 minutes, it was late so i got home and called the guy the next day, he said to bring it back in which i did, He checked the system and said i needed a condenser as mine has a hole in it. He could supply and fit for 360 including another re-gass,what choice did i have it was hot and i do a lot of driving so i got it done, and its been working great since, but what started out at 19 on a groupon deal turnd out to be 540

Sam...

Last edited by Samurai; 21-07-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 21-07-2018, 08:20 PM
Administrator

We do a lot of condensers here, the price is not that high for the condenser on most cars, some it's a 30 minute fit, but others it canbe a lot of work.

You would have needed a full regas with the new 1234yf, the price would be high, a trade bottle is around 350-00 to us
Holly
Old 21-07-2018, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Oh dear, no more dolls this year then
Timbo
Old 27-07-2018, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Goodhead View Post
We do a lot of condensers here, the price is not that high for the condenser on most cars, some it's a 30 minute fit, but others it canbe a lot of work.

You would have needed a full regas with the new 1234yf, the price would be high, a trade bottle is around 350-00 to us
Holly

I priced condenser's on ebay for my car and they started from 85 up to 150 and the mechanic said he had to remove the front bumper to get to it and take it out it was about 3 and half hours work tincluding a re gass though i am not sure he filled the system right up but its still working so its done though it was painfull paying that amount just to get cold air from my vents.

Sam...