Go Back   Forums > Introductions

Old 07-10-2018, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Bob beside the sea, by Holly Goodhead

Old 07-10-2018, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Old 07-10-2018, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Up next Bob's life, the new Electric shop Faraday House, Sister Lynne is born, and a funny true life photo story told from Bobs own words by myself Holly Goodhead.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:16 PM

nice story i liked the clips from the tv and the coronation pics as well. your blue pedal car looked nice we had a yellow pedal dump truck when i was a kid.

carlys_guy
Old 08-10-2018, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlys_guy View Post
nice story i liked the clips from the tv and the coronation pics as well. your blue pedal car looked nice we had a yellow pedal dump truck when i was a kid.

carlys_guy
Thank you Carly's Guy, the coronation pics: my Father took on cine film many years ago well in 1953, from there Timbo set the film onto VHS tape, from there he set the VHS onto a DVD, the DVD was played on the tv, and I took the photo's, all in all they came out not to bad.

My blue pedal car I liked very much as you will see later.

Your yellow dump truck sounds like it was great fun, just right to go with my sand pit at the Bage.
Bob

The more you know the less you know!!
Old 08-10-2018, 08:22 PM

Great story - keep it up!

Madley Airport 'today'...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ma...5!4d-2.8497995
Old 08-10-2018, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algaeholics View Post
Great story - keep it up!

Madley Airport 'today'...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ma...5!4d-2.8497995

Thank You Algaeholics and yes that is the map, not much left of the runways now, we are about 3 miles off that map, the garage that is.

the Bage House Farm we talk about, is about 2 miles off that map.

And what I now call real home is over the border in Wales, about 20 miles off that map.

Preston on Wye Village where the coronation photos came from is about 4 to 5 miles off the map.
Bob

Old 11-10-2018, 02:53 PM
Administrator

The new Electric shop Faraday House, Sister Lynne is born

Here I'm seen with my Mother and my Grandad's Hillman car, here I would have been dressed up for town on a Wednesday, (market day), I was always dressed really well, however as I can remember I'm not sure I liked being dressed up, my clothes were from Symonds the outfitters in Hereford, the very shop is still there today, and you will still get a very warm welcome, and they will want to know you and who you are.

Symonds has been an independent trader in menswear, right in the heart of Hereford, since 1859

The building itself is beautiful with wonderful architecture. It was originally a Merchants House until around 1920 when it was transformed in to Symonds of Hereford. "A great number of there customers comment on the original features that can still be seen within the building such as the original oak beams as well as the decorative plasterwork that has been estimated todate back to the Stuart period".

These two old photos would have been in my Grandads day as a young Man, when the market was held in the City streets of Hereford.

My Mother would go shopping in the City of Hereford, this is how I remember it as a Boy.

I would go with Grandad round the market, to get what was needed for the farm, and you could bet that he would have a deal or two on the go!!

Old 11-10-2018, 03:03 PM
Administrator

If there was time I would get Grandad to take me to the biggest shop in Hereford to look at the toy's in Greenlands.

All down stars was full of toys, I would go see a display with cages containing beautiful mechanical singing birds standing in the middle of this department.

Greenlands is now long gone. The toy section was situated in the basement and was the highlight of every child's trip into town, especially at Christmas when they were taken to meet Father Christmas in his grotto-it felt like you were going miles on the sledge to see Santa although it was only a few yards, someone had the job of rolling the scenery on at the side of the sledge it would have you completely convinced it was real, also going to see Santa in a rocket.

I remember looking at the model soldiers and farm toys in the display case in the basement, they were amazing and wanted all of them, if I got real lucky I may get a Matchbox toy, most of them I sill have to day.

Pocket money I would have to work really hard just to get sixpence, but it did go a long way, a gobstopper at old Mrs Cristefers shop in Madley Village was one penny and you could get six in a paper bag.
Grandad George said when I get old enough I could work on the farm and he would pay me.

The windows, we used to stand and put one leg up and it would look as if we had both our legs in the air!!

Old 11-10-2018, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Later my Father had a bungalow and shop with workshop built on the Madley field part of the land of the Bage farm, this they called Faraday House and I'm sure you know why it got the name Faraday!!

The land so called the Madley field 11 acres in all ran up to the main road of the Village of Madley, this making it a really good site for the new electric shop.

Here with my Farther Gibby.

The shop sold everything electric, from Tv's to Eveready Batteries, remember them.

You could buy your torch, light bulb, shaver, kettle, radio, bad side lamp, even the electric organ if you wanted one!!

Here is a customer taking a demo, and buying one, all things sold in those day's would be repaired in our workshops, new brushes in your shaver or an element in the kettle, velves in the Tv or radio, talk about wast today, well not in those day's, everything was repaired as new again

Here the old accumulators used in valve wireless, note the handle, you would take them to a place of recharge, as a boy I remember many of them on charge for customers.