Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Introductions

Old 12-10-2018, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Faraday House,

It was not a move as a small Boy I wanted to make and the Bage felt real home for me with Gran and Grandad George, Great Gran by this time had passed away, However as a Boy I did spend some time there at Faraday House with Mum and Dad when Sister Lynne was first born.

As the photo story's put together by Holly will also show.

Later my Father had three work men doing house wiring and factory fitting, even car elec: and wiring repairs, Ivor, Rolf and Robin, working from the new house shop and workshop with three vans out on the road to jobs all over Herefordshire.

We had a number of vans, never cars, this however did come close, there was also vans for the work men, who went round house wireing, factorys on farm wiring, taking out new electric items sold in the shop, Vans were all new in those day's, Morris 1000's, A60's A55's and A35's Mini van's too.

There wre on seat belts in those day's and me and Sister Lynne sat on cushions in the back when we want off.
Most of the vans I remember were green or gray, but the Mini vans were blue, later years we had some Ford vans.

As time went by I missed the Bage Gran and Grandad George, Mum would walk us down a lot

but it was for me not like being there, feedindg the sheep cattle and Hens, and getting the eggs from the hen house with Grandad George!!

The more you know the less you know!!
Old 12-10-2018, 09:10 PM
Administrator

It was just a short walk to the Bage half mile by road, but I was never to walk by myself to the Bage by road, however not to be defeated I soon had a plan!!

Old 12-10-2018, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Checking for any guards I crawled through the tunnel I had made and under the fence and into the 11 acre Madley field, my trike was on the other side.

I found it very hard to peddle, it was not as quick as Steve Mc'Queens motor bike on the grass field, so I decided to go by foot!!

I crossed the 11 acres without being seen, the camp was still in site but I was safe from any Guards seeing me!!

I hop over a style!!

Administrator

I was in what was knowen as the sally medow, so called as this was moorland and had many sally trees.

It was then to walk over a small foot bridge, being careful not to fall into the water below, not good as I could not swim!!

On checking the map, from there it was one more style and into the large 15 acre field, cross that and I would see the Bage I hope and the sheep field!!

I hop over that style and cross the 15 acre field, I could see the black roof of the 6 bay hay barn, the Black Mountain range in Wales was behind me!!

There were barbed wire, coils of it, I crawled under on my tummy and I was in the sheep field, run through the sheep and past the ram who was heading for me, waving a stick I just made it in time as I could hear the thunder of hooves behind me!! .

I had made it, now through the 6 bay hay barn and open the gate of the cattle shad, find my way down feeding racks, well the cattle look on in surprise, open one more gate and through the dutch barn!!

Open a huge door, could only just open it, up the cobble drive into yard, scarring off the hens with my stick.

It was then up to the back door of the house that was open, I was safe at last.

Gran was in her rocking chair and Grandad George was there too, surprised to see me thinking I had come with Mum.

Telling Grandad George of my great escape and adventure, my Mum was soon told, Mum was not best pleased I can tell you!!

That day was spent at the Bage with Gran and Grandad George, so you can see I would soon be doing it again what ever rules were put in place

After one or two more attempted and successful escapes, it was decided that it would be safe for me to go that way to get to the Bage, but not through the cattle shads or by road!!

Workman Burt put a bar on the foot bridge for me to hold onto.

My adventure has been a talking point for some years and remerberd by all!!

Administrator

Administrator

Administrator

Administrator

However Faraday House was a good place to ride my trike in those days and not the cobble drive and yard of the Bage.

So life for me as a small boy took on a new meaning and home with Mum and Dad the Bage Grain and Grandad George, I was happy

It was not just myself that took on an adventure but the sheep dog Taffy also would look for me at the Bage, and if I was not about would make his way by road up to the new electric shop to find me and Sister Lynne, the amazing thing was Taffy was fully blind but would be there at the electric shop any day I was not at the Bage

See Taffy the sheep dog in Holly's photo story, don't think you will see a sheep dog like Taffy who was so fond of us as kidds

You may remember the song Taffy was a Welshman taffy was no thief, we would sing it and Taffy would roll about on the ground loving it!!

Sister Lynne was soon up and about too and we would play at Faraday House but Lynne did not come on my long adventures to the Bage and found home at Faraday house.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:14 PM
Administrator

So lets take a look at some more photos of Bobs life in 1950-60.
Holly

Old 12-10-2018, 09:15 PM
Administrator

[/CENTER]