Forums  

Go Back   Forums > M (3), Electronic Diagnostic Forum.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:55 PM

Default Jim Carlow

Hi, I have a 2015 Cmax 1500 zetec. I realised that the temp gauge was not working a few days ago. Went on youtube and could only find USA models on there being worked on. Anyway, thought I'll search for a sender unit. Found one putting the reg number in etc. Not like I thought, no thread just fits in a holder with a clip and o ring. Not in the block. Am I on the right track does anyone know.?
If I am it should be an easy change with any luck, not even a drain down.
+ I can get one for about 20..
Old 08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Jim not sure where that may be on you car.

But Timbo said on some cars a head temp sensor is fitted (Cylinder Head Temperature sensor) it's between plugs 2 and 3, info from this is used for temp gauge, fans and also to determine fuelling requirements, check if you see one there, and let us know.

They can work the gauge in a number of ways, one sensor works all rad fan, temp to engine ECM, and gauge.

You say your car is a 2015, so for sure the dash is working from a system called CAN, that is a network that tell a number of computers info from just one sensor.

Some cars like VW, have one sensor and 4 wires., two for gauge, two for engine ECM.

Older cars two or maybe 3 sensors, like Renault.

Most fords of that year use one sensor, and two wires, if that is the case and it's faulty the engine check light would be on.

Look at it this way, new cars with network, can send info all over the car from just one sensor.

Like ABS working Breaks and the speedo, no old speed cable, no sensor in the gear box, as the speed from the road wheels is sent to computers that need that info.

It's not as you may think.

I would look to up load photos to the site, of the engine bay, and what you are looking at, we need a bit more info, and find what temp sensors it has got and where.

We will do what we can to help.
You now have a photo album here as a member, and can load photos to the site, and add to thread.

But check for sensor between the plugs first.

Also check this photo, it's one more place they fitted a coolant temp sensor.

Other thing a good scan tool should give a gauge test and drive the gauges up and down.

Also some cars not all send the gauges up and back down on key on, not sure if your car has that?

Bob
Old 09-12-2020, 10:10 AM

Default Jim Carlow

Hi Bob, it's the 1500 duratorq engine on my cmax.
When I turn on the ign the temp gauge 'livens up' , but does not show hot or cold if you know what I mean.
The replacement I was looking at certainly looks exactly the same. Same green colour and all. I'll try and post a pic. wish I was more savvy...
Old 09-12-2020, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Bob should look in midday on, to help Jim, not around at this time.
Holly
Old 09-12-2020, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Hi Jim, Bob sent some info to me, here it is.

Jim think you are talking the 1500 DTCI diesel, this photo shows the coolant temp sensor from our data,

is this what you are looking at?

It's the sensor to ECM, and would think may well do the temp gauge as well.
This don't mean this is your fault, but it would be a start if you can say this is what you see on the car.

Could then give you some tests to run.

But looking like I may not be back for some time today.

All the best Bob
Old 09-12-2020, 02:02 PM

Default Jim Carlow

Hi, Yes that's it, just to he left of the battery (sort of).
I'll order that and see how it goes. Might have something to do with the stop/start which doesn't work lately as well.!
Thank you very much.....Jim
Old 10-12-2020, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Good to know Jim, you can test it, but need some kit to do so, and a bit of how to do it.

It should only be 7-00 to 10-00 from a motor factor, so to suck it and see is not the end of the would

Do make sure the motor is cold, and water fill cap is removed to zero any pressure in the system, add some red rubber grease the the o-ring seal before fitting and re-top coolant and refit cap, remove cable plug with key off.

Do let us know the outcome.
Bob
Old 16-12-2020, 03:36 PM

Hi Bob, well proved a point, but that didn't work. So next thing is the thermostat. Eventually there is movement at the gauge but very slowly.
Truth was I didn't run it long enough. At 1500 revs took about 10 mins+ to register at all, so must be stuck open, do you think ?
learnt one thing, never assume anything with these problems.
Next time it'll be a complete drain down.
Old 16-12-2020, 06:29 PM
Administrator

This is Timbo Hi Jim, is the heater getting hot Quick, or taking a long time, if it's slow it may well be the thermostat.

Is the coolant sensor 4 wires coming from it or just two?.

The sensors go wrong in two ways, closed circ, gauge reads high, or open circ: gauge reads zero.

Two wire sensor the check engine light would be on, as it reads to engine ECU also.
Timbo
Old 16-12-2020, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Hello Jim, think Holly gave you some info of how to use your OBD scan tool, she is very good and knows as she has to give info on the phone to customers and garages all the time.

If it's the better one with live data you can use that to see the cooling temp of the engine on warm up, hold at around 2000 RPM, and watch, it should climb within 5 minutes to 86 to 90c, if not try what Timbo said.
Bob