Forums  

Go Back   Forums > M (3), Electronic Diagnostic Forum.

Old 11-12-2020, 02:59 PM

Default OBD2 tester

Hi all, you're just about to find out how little I know about OBD2 diagnostics.
Had a little Micra runabout once, engine light was stuck on. Right I thought I'll get a diagnostic tester and turn that off. This I did and followed the instructions and all went well. My question is this, are these little testers for specific motors
.Can you damage anything by plugging in a 'wrong' unit. ?
I was bought one for my Jeep, a bluetooth one. Never used this ,too afraid what I might find out I suppose.
Could I plug it, or the Micra one into the CMax and expect it to recognise that system.
Intrigued to find out more about them....Jim
Old 11-12-2020, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Hi jim, I can give you some info on that myself, as I see customers ask this all the time, and know a good bit from the Guy's here.

OBD (On-Board Diagnostics), OBD2, and EOBD (European On-Board Diagnostics) scan tools are much the same, OBD-OBD 2, was first seen in USA, it will read plugs that use the 16 way port, most US cars have that, so your Jeep should, and safe to use, it will read fuel data only, not all engine data.

Some readers only read PO and P1 engine codes, some do a bit more like live data.

It's a first step if engine check light is on, you can fit your scan tool to any 12v car or van with a 16 way port and read some fuel data.

If it fits it's safe to do so.

All cars from 2001 petrol and 2003, but changed here to 2005 Diesel on, (off the line), and that is off the line must be EOBD or OBD-OBD2, and your scan tool will read them.

There are some cars that used OBD before those years, all 16 way plugs use pin 16 as supply to the scan link, so if it will plug in no damage will be done, you may find some older cars with 16 way wont read, like some pre 2001 Fords.

Will your next post be what is that P0-P1 code and that will need Bob or Timbo as I'm just a Girl. but how did I do this time.
Holly
Old 16-12-2020, 10:51 PM

Default OBD2 tool

Thanks Holly, just got back on here and seen your reply.
you certainly know your stuff, it was very enlightening.
Now I know I can do little damage I can have a play around, I got too much time on my hands LOL..
Old 17-12-2020, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Thanks, and yes you should be fine with that Jim, on worry
Holly